GEN HELLER'S AMAZING PIE PASTRY
- 5 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg plus water to make 1 cup of liquid
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 lb of Tenderflake lard
- Split dry ingredients in half and place 1 batch in food processor. Pulse to mix
- Mix 1 egg plus enough water to make 1 cup. Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar.
- Divide lard in half length wise and divide each half into 8 equal pieces
- Add ½ lb of divided lard to food processor. Pulse 3 times for 1 or two seconds. Check with a spatula to see that no lard chunks are left. Pulse a few more times and check again.
- Add half of the egg mixture to the food processor in small pours. Turn machine on while pouring. Continue until a ball forms (four or five pours taking 10 seconds or so).
- Scrape dough out of food processor onto a square of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Divide each ball into 3 pieces and create a thick round circle of about 3 inches. On a very scantly floured surface roll from inside out with rolling pin. Roll very gently with little weight on the pin. Roll to about 4” and flip, flour lightly if needed. Roll to 6” and flip again. Create a round of about 11” to fit in a 9” Pyrex pie plate. Make sure that there are no rips in the dough. Roll onto the rolling pin to pick it up and place on wax paper to separate the individual crusts for freezing.
- The key is in the rolling. Only use half the weight of the rolling pin.
Makes six 9” pie shells