Gen Heller’s Amazing Sweet Relish
Makes 12 jars @ 500 ml;
Prep Time - 90 minutes; Resting Time - 8 hours; Canning - 1 hour
Download Printable Recipe
Ingredients (makes about 24 to 26 cups)
- 16 to 20 large dill pickles to make 10 cups processed to a fine dice
- 1 large cauliflower to make 8 cups of fine dice
- 5 to 6 large cooking onions – to make 4 cups fine dice
- 4 large green peppers – to make 4 cups fine dice
- ½ cup coarse pickling salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 6 cups pickling vinegar
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp celery seeds
- Green food colouring (optional)
- Process the cucumbers, cauliflower, onions and green peppers in a food processor. Pulse 5 to 6 times for 3 seconds for a fine dice, but don’t process too fine. Combine in a large stainless bowl or pot.
- Add ½ cup coarse salt and cover with boiling water. Let stand overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Day 2 - Drain well.
- Boil 5 cups sugar in 6 cups vinegar with 2 tbsp. mustard seed, 2 tbsp. Celery seed, then add vegetables. Mix well.
- Heat thoroughly and green food colouring to get desired colour; ladle into jars and seal.
- Place jars in canning pot full of boiling water. When water comes to a boil, can for 10 minutes.
- Remove from canner, tighten lids and let cool.
P.S. This relish is great or burgers and dogs. Add to mayo to make tartar sauce or add a few tablespoons to your potato salad.