Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Papaya Salsa
Download printable .pdf
Serves 6 to 8
For the Jerk Marinade:
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 fresh Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 teaspoons pimento (allspice) berries
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 three to four lb chicken cut into pieces or chicken leg quarters
Blend all marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Divide chicken pieces and marinade between two 1 gallon sealable plastic bags. Seal bags, pressing out excess air, then turn bags over several times to distribute marinade. Place bags in a shallow pan and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, but preferably 24 hours, turning once or twice.
- Let chicken stand at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
To Cook Chicken using a Charcoal Grill:
Charcoal will infuse the best flavour, but this can be cooked on a gas grill or in your oven too
- Open vents on bottom of grill and on lid. Light a large chimney of charcoal briquettes (about 100) and pour them evenly over 1 side of bottom rack (you will have a double or triple layer of charcoal).
- When charcoal turns grayish white and you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds, sear chicken in batches on lightly oiled rack over coals until well browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch. Move chicken as seared to side of grill with no coals underneath, then cook, covered with lid, until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes more.
- If using a gas grill. Use indirect heat @ 250F. Cook for 30 minutes, then turn and cook for another 30 minutes. Increase heat to 400F, turn as needed and cook until internal temp is 165F.
- Serve chicken with papaya salsa.
- 2 pounds papaya (2 preferably pink-fleshed strawberry variety), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups diced (1/4 inch) fresh pineapple (from 1/2 small pineapple)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Stir together all ingredients.