Spiced PUMPKIN and GINGER Soup
Serves - 8. Gluten and Dairy Free!
- 2 tbsp olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1 medium size onion; medium dice
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 4 cups pumpkin puree*
- 1 can Coconut milk – 14 oz.
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice**
- Chili flakes to taste (1 small pinch)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt to taste
- Add olive oil or butter to a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add stock and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, ginger, orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, chili flakes and maple syrup. Bring the soup to a simmer, and cook until heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup or alternatively pour the soup into a blender pitcher to no more than half full. Hold down the lid of the blender firmly in place. Start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth, and pour into a clean pot.
- Return the pureed soup to medium heat; bring to a simmer, cook another 10 minutes and season to taste with salt and pumpkin pie spice mix.
* Pumpkin Puree
- Makes approximately 8 cups
- 1 medium to large pie pumpkin about 2 to 3 lbs. Cut off the stem and cut the pumpkin in half from top to bottom
- Place the cut side down on a parchment lined baking pan and cook at 425F for 20 to 30 minutes until the pumpkin is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove the seeds and scoop out the cooked pumpkin leaving the skin behind. Throw out any blackened bits, which may be bitter.
** Pumpkin Pie Spice
Add together in a small bowl and mix/stir well:
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon;
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg,
- 1 tsp ground ginger,
- ¾ tsp ground allspice.