BASIC SWISS CHEESE FONDUE
Serves - 6 to 8
- 1 pound Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 8 ounces Emmentaler cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove -- halved
- 1 ½ cups dry white wine, preferably Neufchatel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons kirsch
- Freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, pinch
- In a large bowl combine the cheeses and cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Rub the inside of a heavy saucepan with the garlic and discard the garlic.
- Add the wine and lemon juice and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the cheese mixture gradually over moderate heat, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in the kirsch, if desired. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Simmer mixture for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a fondue stand set over a low flame.
- Serve immediately, taking care to remember to continually stir the fondue to prevent it from separating.