Please Note - we are always Nut and Peanut free!
COOKING CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
Scheduled up to MARCH 30, 2019
(NOTE: nO cLASSES sCHEDULED FOR DECEMBER)
Italian Comfort Food
Our Italian Cooking Classes are extremely popular and for the fall we are featuring three delicious courses. Minestrone Soup is a favourite for those cool fall days. For the Tortellini you will be making the pasta dough from scratch, then cutting the tortellini and filling with a delicious mixture of mushrooms, prosciutto and peas. It will be cooked and served with a light cream sauce. The evening will be topped off with a simple version of Tiramisu which takes far less time and tastes just as great.
- Saffron Minestrone Soup
- Ricotta-Stuffed Tortellini with Mushrooms, Prosciutto and Peas in a light cream sauce
- Deconstructed Tiramisu
French Country Food
Our Fall in France Class features 4 classic French menu items that you will easily be able to repeat at home.
We start the evening with a delicious baked Brie and fresh baguette, followed by the classic Potato Leek Soup.
The main course is a twist on traditional Coq au Vin. We will prepare with a white wine vs the usual red wine.
The meal finishes with an amazing dark chocolate mousse.
- Baked Brie with Caramelized Pears, Shallots and Thyme, served with a fresh baguette
- Classic Potato Leek Soup
- Coq au Vin (classic braised chicken in wine)
- Decadent Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Berries
The Spanish Tapas Class is a unique format where the group prepares 6 small plates including a dessert. This is always a very popular class, so book early to get a seat.
- Marinated Olive Salad (Olives, capers, roasted peppers, sherry vinegar, olive oil), Served with a warm crusty bread Crostini
- Berenjenas Parrillas - Grilled Eggplant with Melted Manchego, Capers, and Saffron Honey
- Grilled Calamari with a Tomato, Olive Salsa
- Gambas Al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)
- Patates Bravas Con Chorizo
- Dessert - Tres Leches Cake
A Taste of Thailand COOKING CLASS
Take a trip with your chef to the Far East where you will discover the wonderful flavours of Thailand.
You will begin the evening with Tom Yum Soup, which is a richly flavoured broth with shrimp and mushrooms. The next course is a Green Curry Chicken that is quintessential Thai. The class finishes with a Crisp Beef dish, coconut sticky rice and an amazing Mango ice cream made from scratch.
The evening will be topped off with a simple Mango Ice Cream and Coconut Wafers.
- Tom Yum Soup with Shrimp and Mushrooms (can be offered with no shrimp)
- Green Curry Chicken and Vegetables (vegetarian alternative available)
- Sweet and Spicy Crispy Beef (vegetarian alternative available)
- Coconut Sticky rice
- Mango Ice Cream with Coconut Wafers
ITALIAN VEGETARIAN COOKING CLASS
This is a class that everyone will enjoy, EVEN if you are a certified carnivore!
You will begin the evening with a classic Italian soup featuring San Marzano tomatoes, (which are the tastiest tomatoes in the world), topped with a pesto drizzle and served with buttery garlic bread. Your instructor will teach you the restaurant secrets for making pesto and delicious garlic butter.
The main course is a wild mushroom and marscapone stuffed ravioli served in a light cream sauce. You will be creating the ravioli from scratch including the pasta. The evening will finish with the class producing a delightful pumpkin spiced gelato.
- Rustic Tomato Soup with Pesto Drizzle and Buttery Garlic Bread
- Wild Mushroom and Marscapone Stuffed Ravioli in a light cream sauce
- Made from scratch, Pumpkin-Spiced Gelato
ITALIAN WINTER CLASSICS COOKING CLASS
You will begin the evening with the classic winter soup "Pasta e Fagioli".
The main course is braised rabbit, with pan-fried gnocchi. This dish was featured in a recent "Food Lovers" class and was a huge hit. The key to creating a flavourful rabbit is in the braising and your instructor will take you through the process from start to finish. Gnocchi are simple to make and you will be creating them from scratch.
For dessert you will be making a Marscapone Mousse with balsamic-soaked strawberries.
- Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Braised Rabbit with Pan-Fried Gnocchi
- Marscapone Mousse with Balsamic-Soaked Strawberries
SOUTH-EAST ASIAN COOKING CLASS
The foods and flavours of Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia are amazing. We start off the evening with each person producing their own Rice Paper Rolls and Green Papaya Salad.
The main course is the traditional Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup), which is a meal unto itself.
For dessert the class will be making Kem Bo, which is a sweet avocado ice cream with coconut shavings.
- Vietnamese Rice Paper Roll)
- Green Papaya Salad
- Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
- Kem Bo (Sweet avocado ice cream with coconut shavings)
This delightful fish class features Japanese flavourings.
The first course is a Seared Ahi Tuna served with crisp greens, shaved radish & cucumber and a wasabi mayo.
The main course is a Miso-glazed Salmon, poached to perfection and served with a cauliflower puree, sesame glazed carrots and Edamame Salad. You will never serve dried out salmon again, after taking this class!
For dessert, the Class will make a Mango Ice cream from scratch and Coconut Tuilles.
- Seared Ahi Tuna, Crisp Greens, Wasabi Mayo, Shaved Radish and Cucumber
- Miso-Glazed Salmon, Cauliflower Puree, Edamame Salad; sesame glazed carrots
- Mango Ice Cream, Coconut Tuilles
VALENTINE'S - FOOD LOVER'S 5-COURSE CLASS
Our Valentine's Classes for Couples are extremely popular and sell out quickly.
You will begin the evening with a complimentary glass of Prosecco to enjoy with the 1st Course of oysters on the half shell. Your instructor will teach you the art of shucking and guide you through the preparation of classic dipping sauces.
The 2nd Course is a sour dough baked Brie that will be served with caramelized pears and shallots.
The 3rd course is a Mizo-glazed Black Cod. If you have never had this cold water fish, it may soon be you favourite fish. It is delicate with a gorgeous buttery finish.
The main course is beef tenderloin medallions. You will create a natural pan sauce and it will be served with caramelized carrots and shallots.
What is Valentine's without chocolate? You will make a classic dark chocolate mousse that will be served with fresh berries and a complimentary glass of Framboise (the perfect dessert wine pairing with chocolate).
- Complimentary glass of Prosecco on arrival
- Arrival Platter of flatbreads, dip, olives, cheese
- Oysters-on-the-half-shell with condiment pairings
- Sour Dough Baked Brie with Caramelized Pears and Shallots
- Miso-Glazed Black Cod on a bed of fresh greens
- Beef Tenderloin Medallions with Natural Pan Sauce, Caramelized Carrots and Shallots
- Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Berries and complimentary Framboise pairing
Cancellation and Change Policy:
By purchasing a Cooking Class or Gift Certificate you agree to the terms and conditions of our Cancellation and Change Policy as stated below.
NO REFUNDS FOR CANCELLATIONS WILL BE GIVEN EXCEPT AS LISTED BELOW. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
We understand that life occasionally throws us curve balls, but please do not ask us to make exceptions, as your late cancellation does not allow us enough time to re-sell your seats.
1. More than 7 days’ notice to The Chef Upstairs by email or phone:
- No refunds. Students will be eligible to reschedule to future class.
2. Less than 7 days’ notice to The Chef Upstairs:
- No refunds or rescheduling will be allowed. Please have someone attend in your place.
3. No Notice:
- Where a student fails to inform The Chef Upstairs or fails to attend registered class –No Refunds or Rescheduling will be allowed.
4. Sickness or Illness:
- With less than 7 days notice, there are no exceptions for Sickness or Illness. NO Refunds and NO Rescheduling will be allowed.
5. Gift Certificate Use:
- If you intend to use a gift certificate for class payment and are unable to attend a class, the above Cancellation policy is in effect. Failure to provide the minimum notice will result in cancellation of the Gift Certificate, regardless of the circumstances.