Please Note - we are always Nut and Peanut free!
SUMMER/FALL 2018 - COOKING CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
ScheduleD up to NOV 28, 2018
SUMMER IN ITALY
This is always a popular theme using fresh spring and summer ingredients. The class starts with simple summer bruschetta followed by a delicious salad, where the mushrooms can be prepared on the stove or on your outdoor grill. The main course features pasta, that the class will be preparing from scratch and the evening finishes with a classic summer homemade gelato
- Summer bruschetta trio (tomato, white bean and sweet pea)
- Salad - A mix of Portobello and wild mushrooms grilled, served on a bed of greens with shaved Parmigiano
- Spaghetti from scratch with grilled sweet Italian Sausage, blistered tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and olive oil
- Stracciatella gelato with orange cookies
A TASTE OF MEXICO
This class introduces you to the wonderful tastes of Mexico ...citrus, mole, avocados and chiles. This is a wonderful menu that you will want to share with family and friends at a backyard BBQ.
- Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- A Taco Trio; (dry rubbed flank steak, chicken with mole sauce and vegetarian)
- Citrus macerated berries, with cinnamon wafer sugar cookies (alfajores) and whipped coconut cream
SUMMER GRILLING - MIXED GRILL
Everyone loves grilling in the backyard or the cottage. Our chefs will teach you a variety of grilling methods and even if you don't have a grill, you can duplicate the results on the stove, using some tricks of the trade.
- Grilled Calamari with smashed potatoes and olives
- Grilled boneless chicken breast cubes served on a bed of romaine
- Boneless leg of lamb with a feta gremolata and grilled seasonal veg
- Grilled fruits with french vanilla ice cream
CARIBBEAN gRILLing cLASS
To get you in the mood, this class starts with a Caribbean themed drink and a wonderful grilled salad. You will learn how to make Jamaican Jerk chicken from scratch and everyone will take home a half litre of the marinade.
- Grilled Caribbean fruit salad with honey lime dressing (pineapple, citrus segments) on a bed of smashed grilled plantains; butter lettuce cups, pumpkin seeds
- Jerk chicken with coconut rice and peas; collard greens
- Jamaican hot sauce or chutney
- White chocolate mousse with rum and coconut
Foodies love Tapas restaurants, where they can try and taste a wide variety of foods. Our chefs thought that a tapas style class would be a great way to introduce you to a variety of Japanese foods that you could then make at home.
- Miso Soup
- Karaage (fried chicken) with sesame mayo
- Hand rolls
- Miso glazed salmon with Edamame puree
- Tempura banana with chocolate sauce and handmade vanilla bean ice cream
ITALIAN FALL HARVEST CLASS
Our Italian Cooking Classes are extremely popular and for the fall we are featuring three delicious courses. Minestrone Soup is a favourite for those cool fall days. For the Tortellini you will be making the pasta dough from scratch, then cutting the tortellini and filling with a delicious mixture of mushrooms, prosciutto and peas. It will be cooked and served with a light cream sauce. The evening will be topped off with a simple version of Tiramisu which takes far less time and tastes just as great.
- Saffron Minestrone Soup
- Ricotta-Stuffed Tortellini with Mushrooms, Prosciutto and Peas in a light cream sauce
- Deconstructed Tiramisu
FALL IN FRANCE
Our Fall in France Class features 4 classic French menu items that you will easily be able to repeat at home.
We start the evening with a delicious baked brie and fresh baguette, followed by the classic Potato Leek Soup.
The main course is a twist on traditional Coq au Vin. We will prepare with a white wine vs the usual red wine.
The meal finishes with an amazing dark chocolate mousse.
- Baked Brie with Caramelized Pears, Shallots and Thyme, served with a fresh baguette
- Classic Potato Leek Soup
- Coq au Vin (classic braised chicken in wine)
- Decadent Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Berries
SPANISH TAPAS - FALL CLASS
The Spanish Tapas Class is a unique format where the group prepares 6 small plates including a dessert. This is always a very popular class, so book early to get a seat.
- Marinated Olive Salad (Olives, capers, roasted peppers, sherry vinegar, olive oil), Served with a warm crusty bread crostini
- Berenjenas Parrillas - Grilled Eggplant with Melted Manchego, Capers, and Saffron Honey
- Braised Octopus with Tomato, Olives and Oregano
- Gambas Al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)
- Patates Bravas Con Chorizo
- Dessert - Tres Leches Cake
THAI FALL COOKING CLASS
Take a trip with your chef to the Far East where you will discover the wonderful flavours of Thailand.
You will begin the evening with Tom Yum Soup, which is a richly flavoured broth with shrimp and mushrooms. The next course is a Green Curry Chicken that is quintessentail Thai. The class finishes with a Crisp Beef dish, coconut sticky rice and an amazing Mango ice cream made from scratch.
The evening will be topped off with a simple version of Tiramisu which takes far less time and tastes just as great.
- Tom Yum Soup with Shrimp and Mushrooms (can be offered with no shrimp)
- Green Curry Chicken and Vegetables (vegetarian alternative available)
- Sweet and Spicy Crispy Beef (vegetarian alternative available)
- Coconut Sticky rice
- Mango Ice Cream with Coconut Wafers
MOROCCAN VEGETARIAN/Vegan COOKING CLASS
This is a class that everyone will enjoy, whether you are vegetarian or not and if you leave out the feta cheese and ice cream it can be suitable for Vegans as well. If you love the Moroccan flavours of cumin, cinammon, ginger and coriander this is a class for you!
You will begin the evening with a delicious Mediterranean Salad featuring figs, apricots and olives. The 2nd course is a Moroccan spiced soup that is purreed and can be served as a shooter. The main course is a delcious root vegetable served over Moroccan spiced couscous. You finish the evening with Moroccan marinated orange slices served with French Vanilla Bean ice cream.
- Mediterranean Salad with figs, apricots, feta and olives)
- Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup shooter
- Moroccan roasted root vegetable stew with couscous
- Moroccan Marinated Orange slices with vanilla ice cream
Cancellation and Change Policy:
By purchasing a Cooking Class or Gift Certificate you agree to the terms and conditions of our Cancellation and Change Policy as stated below.
NO REFUNDS FOR CANCELLATIONS WILL BE GIVEN EXCEPT AS LISTED BELOW. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
We understand that life occasionally throws us curve balls, but please do not ask us to make exceptions, as your late cancellation does not allow us enough time to re-sell your seats.
1. More than 7 days’ notice to The Chef Upstairs by email or phone:
- No refunds. Students will be eligible to reschedule to future class.
2. Less than 7 days’ notice to The Chef Upstairs:
- No refunds or rescheduling will be allowed. Please have someone attend in your place.
3. No Notice:
- Where a student fails to inform The Chef Upstairs or fails to attend registered class –No Refunds or Rescheduling will be allowed.
4. Sickness or Illness:
- With less than 7 days notice, there are no exceptions for Sickness or Illness. NO Refunds and NO Rescheduling will be allowed.
5. Gift Certificate Use:
- If you intend to use a gift certificate for class payment and are unable to attend a class, the above Cancellation policy is in effect. Failure to provide the minimum notice will result in cancellation of the Gift Certificate, regardless of the circumstances.