Serves 10 to 12
4 large room-temperature eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest (zest from 1 or 2 lemons)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients - Glaze
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp water
1. Place the rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350 F (180 C). Grease and flour a small bundt or tube pan.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer or by hand, beat together the eggs and sugar until thick. Gradually beat in the oil until smooth.
3. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, and then the milk. Beat just until smooth, and then mix in the lemon juice, zest, and vanilla.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a rack for 7 to 10 minutes. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan with a butter knife or spatula, then turn out the cake onto the rack to finish cooling.
6. The cake may be served plain, dusted with powdered sugar or drizzled with a glaze.
Make the Optional Glaze
1. In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice and confectioners' sugar. Beat in the melted butter and 1 tablespoon water. Drizzle over the top of the cake, allowing the glaze to run down the sides.