1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 red Thai peppers (seeded and minced)
2 tablespoons vegetable/grapeseed oil
2 ripe but firm mangoes
1 red bell pepper
1 medium carrot (coarsely grated)
2 green onions (thinly sliced)
1 shallot (thinly sliced)
2/3 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
1⁄3 cup chopped sunflower seeds (toasted)*
1. Zest peel from 1 lime and place in a measuring cup along with 1/4 cup of lime juice. 2. Whisk in fish sauce, sugar and Thai pepper until sugar is dissolved. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Add shallot, mix well. Set dressing aside.
2. Peel mangoes, then cut away chunks of fruit from pits then, cut into thin strips (julienne, or use grater) and place in a large bowl.
3. Seed sweet pepper, cut into very thin strips and add to mangoes.
4. Add carrot, half of green onions, and cilantro. Toss gently until combined.
5. Add dressing and a pinch of salt, toss until mixed. Sprinkle with nuts and remaining green onions.
*Note – traditional Thai salad would incorporate peanuts vs sunflower seeds